Cookies are information packets sent by web servers to web browsers, and stored by the web browsers.
The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables a web server to identify and track web browsers.
There are two main kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies are deleted from your computer when you close your browser, whereas persistent cookies remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach their expiry date.
The list below describe the cookies we use on this site and what we use them for. Currently we operate an ‘implied consent’ policy which means that we assume you are happy with this usage. If you are not happy, then you should either not use this site, or you should delete the cookies having visited the site, or you should browse the site using your browser’s anonymous usage setting (called “Incognito” in Chrome, “InPrivate” for Internet Explorer, “Private Browsing” in Firefox and Safari etc.).
First Party Cookies
These are cookies that are set by this website directly.
You can find out more about Google’s position on privacy as regards its analytics service here
- WordPress: Our websites runs the popular WordPress CMS and cookies are used to store basic data on your interactions with WordPress, and whether you have logged into WordPress. We use a session cookie to remember your log-in for you if you are a registered user and we deem these as being strictly necessary to the working of the website. If these are disabled then various functionality on the site will be broken.
- Shopping Cart: We use a session cookie to remember your log-in for you and what you’ve put in the shopping basket. These we deem strictly necessary to the working of the website. If these are disabled then various functionality on the site will be broken.
More information on session cookies and what they are used for at https://www.allaboutcookies.org/cookies/session-cookies-used-for.html
Third Party Cookies
These are cookies set on your machine by external websites whose services are used on this site. Cookies of this type are the sharing buttons across the site allow visitors to share content onto social networks. In order to implement these buttons, and connect them to the relevant social networks and external sites, there are scripts from domains outside of our website. You should be aware that these sites are likely to be collecting information about what you are doing all around the internet, including on this website.
Who is collecting your data?
When providing access to our products or services, we will be collecting certain personal information from our customers. “We” means OpenMotics BVBA, a Belgian private limited liability company with registered office at Hertstokweg 5, B-1741 Ternat (Belgium), VAT BE 0500.927.202 (hereinafter referred to as “OpenMotics”). OpenMotics will act as the controller and processor of any personal data (as defined in the Data Protection Directive 95/46EC and the Belgian Act of 8 December 1992 relating to privacy protection regarding the processing of personal data, hereafter the “Privacy Act”) that is collected or otherwise processed through www.openmotics.com, cloud.openmotics.com, wiki.openmotics.com or any other website owned and/or operated by or on behalf of OpenMotics (together: the “Websites”).
Why are we collecting your data?
The protection of your privacy and personal data is important to us. OpenMotics will use your data only in accordance with the Privacy Act and other applicable laws and regulations.
OpenMotics does not sell or transfer your personal data itself to third parties (and we will never do so). OpenMotics takes all possible measures to minimize the risks of unauthorized access to, or theft of, your personal data. Therefore OpenMotics cannot be held liable for any damages resulting from unauthorized intrusion into our IT-systems, interception of personal information or other cybercrimes committed by third parties on such systems.
The main reason for collecting your personal data is to guarantee the proper technical operation of our products. We may also use your personal data for information purposes, such as temporary promotions, new product launches, upgrades or updates of existing OpenMotics products, important news updates,….
As a visitor or user of our Websites, you explicitly agree that certain personal data may be collected and processed by or on behalf of OpenMotics either in Belgium or any other country of the European Union, for the following purposes:
- identifying and registering you as a user of certain services;
- enable your access to, and use of, our services;
- process your online purchase orders, send statements and invoices to you, and collect payments from you;
- send products to you, or supply the services that you purchased online;
- running back-ups of information that you have provided to us;
- user-initiated back-ups of your gateway in order to perform a restore when a gateway change is needed or when certain data is erased by user interaction
- establishing your personal power usage history and processing such information for user statistical purposes
- customizing and enhancing your experience on our Websites;
- keeping you informed of any developments in relation to our services;
- preventing abuse and fraud;
- creating statistics to improve the OpenMotics service ;
- monitoring the quality of our services; and
- to implement further updates and/or upgrades as well as to create new features.
What data are we collecting?
Your personal data that is collected by us (the “Personal Data”) includes the following kinds of personal information:
- information about your use of the website (including IP address, cookies information on the device you’re using to access the Websites);
- information that you provide when registering with the website or relating to transactions carried out over the website, such as your names, physical addresses (shipping address and billing address), telephone number and e-mail address
- technical information on the system that you’ve configured in view of implementing the OpenMotics’ management and monitoring solution (power grid, inputs and outputs, dimmers, thermostats (cooling and/or heating), gas, water, etc.);
- real-time and historical power measurement and system usage information in view of enabling OpenMotics’ management and monitoring solution on our cloud management platform.
If there are purposes other than those identified above, we will identify these purposes at or before the time the information is collected or before using your personal information for a purpose not previously identified.
We will retain your Personal Data only as long as necessary for fulfillment of the purposes described above or as required by law.
Securing your data
OpenMotics will take all reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your Personal Data. In view thereof, OpenMotics has implemented thorough security features, including VPN tunneling and HTTPS communication.
Amendments to and/or deletion of Personal Data
You are entitled to request free of charge, in writing or via the contact information provided below, to access, review and to amend your Personal Data.
You are furthermore entitled to request free of charge, in writing or via the contact information provided below, that OpenMotics stops processing or using your Personal Data.
Finally, you are entitled to request free of charge, in writing or via the contact information provided below, that OpenMotics (i) stops processing or using, or (ii) deletes, your Personal Data that is incomplete or not relevant in view of the purpose of the processing of such Personal Data.
To exercise your privacy rights, please send a written request to OpenMotics to this end, duly dated and signed, with proof of your identity, to the address provided below.
Other things you should know
Please note that subject to applicable data protection legislation, we will also disclose your personal data if we believe we are required to do so to comply with any law, regulation, court order, or legal or government request. In the event that all or part of our business is acquired by a third party, your information may be transferred to the new corporate owner. Without assuming any obligation to do so, we also reserve the right to collect and share any information we deem necessary to investigate or take action in connection with suspected fraud, illegal activities, possible harm to persons or property, to protect ourselves or one or more of our users or their heirs, or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Any claims resulting from or relating to the processing of Personal Data by OpenMotics shall be brought to the Chairman of the Court of first instance of (i) your place of residence if residing in Belgium, or (ii) Ghent, Belgium, in any other case, in accordance to article 14 of the Privacy Act.